Topic Options
#84916 - 10/03/12 11:57 PM How Important is a College Degree?

Siulan Offline
Ave

Loc: College Park, MD
Quick background. I'm currently enrolled at a large public state school as an undecided major, taking classes in sociology, communications, 2-D design, film, and mythology. I want to do something art-related with my 'career' but if I end up studying art it will not be at this university, mostly because an already-useless art degree is made more useless by coming from a school that has an incredibly weak art department. My tentative plan is to major in languages. I'm planning on spending the next 2 years studying abroad mostly because I fucking hate classes and people at this school, and love traveling.

So my question to you (everyone): How important is a college degree in your opinion? What doors do you believe have opened or closed for you as a result of either having or not having one? And if anyone has an art degree... Is it worth it? Do you feel you could have the same job without the degree?

I believe that a degree and other certifications of academic qualification are stepping stones in the pathway to contemporary America's idea of success: steady job, high income, comfortable sedentary life, career competence, productive member of society. Is that success? Why is that success? There is this concept of 'struggling artist' that I feel is seriously looked down upon in a time when so many people are struggling financially. The idea is, get yourself an education so you can get ahead in the economy and ensure a high standard of living.

In the end I think it comes down to a question of whether or not you can feed yourself and provide for your family or your own personal interests. Do you think that non-graduates have lost their chance for that, or any, idea of success?

This is not a request for advice... I want to hear some thoughts and experiences. God forbid I read the phrase 'stay in school.' Honestly - what do you think?

www.treksolo.tumblr.com
www.facebook.com/kjbadenphoto

Check out HHP's Sponsors

#84919 - 10/04/12 12:46 AM Re: How Important is a College Degree? [Re: Siulan]

Kaztro Offline

Loc: Earth
I personally believe that the education system in this country is broken and it's not on accident. It starts in public school with the indoctrination system, that culminates with collage and the idea that conformity is freedom.

Quote:
I believe that a degree and other certifications of academic qualification are stepping stones in the pathway to contemporary America's idea of success: steady job, high income, comfortable sedentary life, career competence, productive member of society.

this line sums it up. it's important only in terms of functioning in society to the level that you feel is necessary for you to be "happy"

I believe that you should learn to learn, always learn. learn everyday as much as you can. not for the sake of a job but for the sake of yourself. Question everything, learn and grow daily.

Edited by Kaztro (10/04/12 12:53 AM)

#84922 - 10/04/12 01:29 AM Re: How Important is a College Degree? [Re: Kaztro]

Siulan Offline
Ave

Loc: College Park, MD
Yeah... I feel like 'higher' education is all channeled toward one goal, the goal of getting a degree not as an accomplishment of learning but as the minimum requirement to being accepted in the job force. Which will lead to society's goal of success. Which is a job and a productivity that can contribute to society's well-being. But ... what if that is not your goal? If your goals and ideas are conflicting or at least not coinciding with the 'productive member of society' ideal of success, are you wasting your time being herded into that group, because college is only preparing you for that one type of success? Is there a possibility to make a life based on any other foundation of success? Or is the drive for money so strong that people will give up everything else in order to obtain it because it is so necessary for survival...?

Am I overthinking everything here and making up conspiracy theory shit? lol...

www.treksolo.tumblr.com
www.facebook.com/kjbadenphoto

#84941 - 10/04/12 11:18 AM Re: How Important is a College Degree? [Re: Siulan]

Scorpiana X Offline
INKED

Loc: Cali via Bronx
There is a part of me that wants to say, fuck a degree, do what makes you happy. I have many friends who have succeeded in life without one.

But, that said, one of my biggest regrets now is dropping out of college. I do not regret cosmetology school, it was my passion, I love what I do. But I now wish I had at least got my associates degree first. Something to fall back on. The economy has made things rough in my industry, too many damn hairdressers, not enough business to go around. But even if I wanted to leave, I am not qualified to do anything that will pay decent. Doing hair was my back-up plan, I have no back=up plan fore this.

I watch clients that have been in high paid jobs get laid off. Folks that have been at thier job 20 years, got thier foot in the door back when you didn't have to have college. These folks can't find the same level job because everyone wants employees with degrees. Hell a lot of companies won't hire you for secretarial or minor office jobs without at least an associates.

College degrees are at the very least a back-up. They can open doors in an emergency. As someone without one, I can tell you about what doors are locked to me. And It's not just about pursuing the so called American dream, cuz that was never my thing. It's about being able to provide for the child you may someday have. It's about not wondering how you will survive after retirement. It's about knowing that one day your parents will be dead and that you have noone to fall back on in an emergency.

My advice, finish, get that degree. Then pursue your dreams. This way if things don't work out, you have a back up. Get it outta the way now when you are young. Think of it this way. You are young, you have no idea where you're head will be at in 10 years, especially if you have a kid, and by then, it may be really difficult to go back. Just get it out of the way while you are young.

www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/inked/7569611

#85746 - 10/21/12 07:16 PM Re: How Important is a College Degree? [Re: Scorpiana X]

Genome Offline
Shadowloo

Loc: Florida
college was a joke and so is our society. intelligence doesnt come from thinking only outwardly but also inwardly. College preps people to be complacent and orderly for a chance at having a garage.

#85747 - 10/21/12 07:19 PM Re: How Important is a College Degree? [Re: Genome]

Genome Offline
Shadowloo

think of the name too, a degree. It makes someone a degree better than someone else. its all a cruel business. Universe- city. A city sized place for the elite to store knowledge. They allow us a piece of that knowledge to fit into the puzzle that supports them. No one can see past the edge of the piece they are a part of. Noone cares they live on a board and segment off their lives like pie pieces for others to feed off until you die with your degree. School is a system to benefit someone else, not truly build a good person, only an obedient and souless one. I have my degree and it means shit to me.

#85748 - 10/21/12 07:39 PM Re: How Important is a College Degree? [Re: Siulan]

Rutherford Offline
old hand

I can't say how important a college degree is to another individual but I can tell you:

I was talking to one of my cousins friday and he is the by the book get good grades and take the traditional route type of person. And after college and then the masters degree and the HUGE telecommunication paycheck he's questioning life choices and the fact he is unfulfilled despite a nice crib, wife who's a Doctor and a dog. I think he was just making sure he wasn't crazier than me still but he's getting there.

I say all of that to say as a person who was a independent college student drop out what I said to him was life is a primal activity, despite all the accomplishments and accolades as far as I'm concerned if your stomach is full and my stomach is full, we're neck and neck. So however you choose to run your race is up to you as long as you are eating. The ghetto ain't the only trap because all that higher education has to be paid for and $200,000 student loans is crazy...Unless your parents are extremely wealthy YOU GOT BILLS!!! IF I had the desire to have children it would be their choice but being their father I would already prepare them the best I could to actively acquire knowledge for self.

I know A LOT of educated dummies. But that's the way this society crumbles.

If you want to fit in develop a coffee addiction, experiment with binge drinking and tenured professors who allow their teaching assistant to teach the class while they are researching for their next book for the class to buy than yes a degree is important. my 2 cents.

#85749 - 10/21/12 08:04 PM Re: How Important is a College Degree? [Re: Rutherford]

Genome Offline
Shadowloo

^^^well said

#85839 - 10/23/12 11:53 AM Re: How Important is a College Degree? [Re: Siulan]

Rutherford Offline
old hand

This is not meant to be an insult Ave J. I forget sometimes how many young people including yourself are in this community so here's some more wizdumb:

Understand as you tinker with becoming a misanthrope; there is a price to pay for everything. Sometimes you just don't know what that price will be. As a person who just simply dropped out of society because of the degree glass ceiling and a record I have struggled.

Declare a major, don't join a sorority, don't go with the flow of an individual or crowd, without questioning and don't get pregnant! or drop out and make DAMN sure you become Zuckerberg or I guess I mean Annie Leibovitz, but you know what I mean!

#86607 - 12/19/12 05:55 PM Re: How Important is a College Degree? [Re: Siulan]

LitoBells Offline
Freshman Citizen

Loc: New York
A bit late but I thought this was quite interesting and sheds light on the education system and the value of a college degree in today and tomorrows world.

Talk on TED I found.... blew my mind.
http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

LitoBells

Who's Online
0 registered (), 1 Guest and 0 Spiders online.
Key: President, Administrator, Moderator
Advertisement

October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31